19 August, 2010

UNENTERTAINING INTERLUDES

Had our first group tute of the semester one week ago from yesterday. We had to spend the entire day discussing each other's work. Collective delirium set in at about 3:00pm. Luckily I was first of the day.

Here's what I had to show for myself:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Quite appropriate to the implications of the work, this piece fell off the wall five days after it was installed.

Photobucket

The text in both works came from reading down the page of a novel, rather than across, and finding phrases with alternative meanings or implications.

I'm interested in how we read and interpret images, and how alternative perceptions can easily be created with the slightest changes in presentation and context.

There are a lot of photos out there that depict the romantic notion of the reclusive artist in their studio. Covered in paint. Surrounded by canvases. A skull on their desk. Piles of books littering the floor. And an underlying understanding that this person is special. This person is different. A genius in their own right.

Yeah, well, this is mine:

Photobucket

I eat.

Thank you to Esteban for that insightful entry into the mysterious world of the 'artist'.
(I know these aren't drawings, but I'm that's what I'm tagging them as, because I don't have an 'art' tag. Work with me here.)

1 comment:

Labels

Followers