28 June, 2011

CRITIQUE

Being critical used to be one of my strengths.
Arguably, it turned into a weakness.
Now it seems to be a constant exploration. A search for the meaning of 'quality'. A hang-up under examination instead of an active tool in self-rejection.

My work has turned from a desperate outward search for something to identify with, something to label as my own, to an inward looking process of analysis and self-reflection. I'm not a huge fan of work that is intensely personal to the point where it is completely self-indulgent, but I guess that's part of what art is, at the end of the day.

This was my set up for assessment, where I officially invite external criticism to my work around criticism. A set-up for rejection.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. your assemblies are really great, and I mean as a narrative you can walk through (or at least I imagine I could walk through). I really like the photo of the hands holding the pen the wrong way. It's good to see a composition that's direction works in 3 dimensions.

    Whilst I admire your ability to turn self-doubt and mental blocks into art, and I don't think self examination is actually a self-indulgent process when done honestly. I do hope you find something to say and say it with conviction one day too.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Followers